Your Guide to Eating Out Right

Fit friends used the guide to eating right

Published By

Adrian Lea

Published Date

September 4, 2019

A woman sits at a restaurant studying the menu with a disheartened look on her face. She has begun an exercise routine and knows that her frequent meals out could slow her weight loss results if she wasn’t careful.

*When the waiter comes she is still deep in thought over what to order. “What can I get for you?” he asks with a smile. She looks up and frowns, no closer to arriving at a decision. On a whim she blurts out, “I’m trying to eat healthy but I have no idea what to order. What do you think I should eat?”

*The young waiter looks startled but quickly rattles off his idea of a healthy meal. “The eggplant and roasted capsicum pasta is filled with vegetables. You could get that with a salad.”

*The woman smiles. Yes, vegetables do sound healthy. So she orders the veggie pasta with a side salad and a diet coke, then sits back to enjoy a few slices of bread. 

That’s a true story. Not surprisingly the woman was unable to lose weight even though she was exercising regularly.

It is said that 80% of your weight loss results are derived from diet, and the remaining 20% from exercise, however I believe it’s more like 100% nutrition so you can see how important it is for you to stick with a healthy eating plan.

Use the following tips as your guide to eating out right:

Appetizer

Appetizers are a great way to start out a leisurely meal, but can also derail your good intentions with a quickness.

Instead of ordering this

* Anything fried. Fried foods are a favourite, but will do damage that even the most intense workout won’t undo.

* Creamy dips. These are filled with fat and usually come with something fried to dip in it.

* Bread. It comes smothered in cheese or seeped in butter, and even when it’s plain it fills you up with more carbohydrates than your body needs.

Order this

* Green salad. Ask for very light dressing.

* Antipasto. A plate of thinly sliced meats, olives and cheese will start you off with some protein.

Beverages

Calories in drinks are sneaky because they don’t fill you up. This means that you end up taking in far more calories than you bargained for.

Instead of ordering this

* Regular or diet soft drink. On one hand you’re drinking corn syrup through a straw, on the other you’re drinking chemicals that cause you to crave sweets. It’s a no win situation.

* Sweet cocktails. Many restaurants are advertising sweet cocktails –resist the urge. Sugar plus alcohol equals loads of unneeded calories.

* Sweetened tea. You may feel righteous for ordering iced tea, but if it’s sweetened then you may as well be drinking fully loaded soft drink.

Order this

* Water. Don’t laugh! Water is the best beverage of all.

* Unsweetened iced tea. Don’t ruin it by adding that packet of sugar. Learn to enjoy the natural sweetness to the tea.

* Red wine. Stick to one glass, and drink responsibly.

Entrees

This is where the real damage is done. When you order something carb-loaded you leave the restaurant feeling heavy and lethargic—you may not even realise this until you start eating better and experience the light, energetic way you’ll feel after eating a healthy meal.

Instead of ordering this

* Pasta. If you’re trying to lose weight and maintain a lean body have this as (sometimes) food and in small amounts.

* Pizza. Another dish that has far more carbohydrates than you need. Instead of eating a large pizza order a small and have this as a (sometimes) food.

* Burgers. If you really want a burger… go for it! Again, this is a (sometimes) food and be mindful of the sauces (Mayo) etc.

Order this

* Lean meat with vegetables. Fish, steak, chicken, take your pick and pair it with vegetables.

* Salad with protein. Ask for very light dressing and make sure you have a nice piece of protein on it.

* Soup and salad. Stick with broth based soups that contain protein.

I hope the guide to eating out right helped you a lot.

Need help setting up your fitness boundaries? I am here to help.

You may also like…

Fish Oil & Fat Loss

Fish Oil & Fat Loss

A lot of people are misguided in the world of supplementation. There are a million and one options out there for each...

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Join My LeaWay Lifestyle Fitness Program Today!

X